Lean Into Suffering and Help, by Dr. Edward Viljoen


I recall reading Teresa of Avila's writing about serving the world and her advice to lean into the suffering and identify with the pain and struggle of the people involved in order to become stimulated into action.  That is my paraphrase of what I recall from the reading.  I remember, too, the idea in her writing that it is our connection to the suffering of the world that draws us into action; and it is also, she wrote, how Divinity uses us. 

 

Teresa of Avila's advice contrasts with what some metaphysical teachers recommend: to be careful not to identify with the mindset of suffering so as not to take on the associated consciousness.  In Ernest Holmes’s words, "You may have all the sympathy in the world for one who is in need, but don't personally identify yourself with it, don't take it on." 

 

How, then, do I lean into serving the world, accurately see the suffering, and still avoid identifying with what I see?  The best approach I can think of is to work towards the clearest consciousness I can so that when I engage in the world, I avoid bringing ideas of separation, concepts of “us and them,” or notions of better-than or less-than. 

 

On the one hand, contributing with a clear consciousness of oneness is an excellent way of bringing the best in me when helping where help is wanted.  On the other hand, there is the possibility of becoming so detached that I don't recognize or accept or acknowledge my ability to help when and where I can.

 

Whether I am a student of Ernest Holmes or Teresa of Avila or both, only I can know when I'm hiding behind my spirituality as a way of avoiding engaging in the world. 



Rev. Edward Viljoen, DD (Hon.)

Spiritual Leader, Centers for Spiritual Living

For more information about Centers for Spiritual Living visit us on Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts