Finding Meaning in the Midst of Chaos, Rev. Russ Legear


It has now been nearly a month since Russia invaded Ukraine. Every day we hear about more and more people who are being displaced from their homes and their lives. Every day we hear about a new war crime. Every day, it seems as though chaos is trying to take over our lives in the form of oppression, fear, and war.

I don’t think there is an easy New Thought answer for times like these. We have to feel our feelings, no matter how unpleasant they may be, so we can better understand where they are coming from. Our feelings are not something that need consume us or our consciousness; but we cannot avoid them, either. In these feelings we can find a deeper meaning to help us move through the seeming chaos of the world around us. For me, I find meaning once I move through my rage and anger, and find myself in the compassionate part of my being that wants to know how I can best help.

It has been said that in times of crisis, we should look for the helpers. This is what I find myself doing more and more as the illegal war in Ukraine continues. I read about how many refugees Poland is admitting, and how Polish women are donating strollers filled with supplies to help the fleeing families from Ukraine. I hear about the United Kingdom offering a monetary stipend to any U.K. family that hosts Ukrainian refugees. I hear about European and Asian countries waiving visa requirements for Ukrainians trying to find safety. I hear about Russians standing up to their own government, often at great risk to their personal safety. I hear about coffee shop owners in Kyiv staying in their shops so they can provide some semblance of normalcy for times that are anything but.

When I hear about these helpers, I know that this is the still, small voice of God making itself heard amidst–and in spite of–the din of so much chaos. Once I’ve felt my feelings, I have to ask myself: how can I join in this grand symphony of divine whispers? How can I open my heart to help? This is how I land on my own New Thought answers.

Rev. Russ Legear is the Assistant Minister at the Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Rosa


  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts