The Wisdom of Geese, By Dr. Liesa Leggett Garcia


 Hiking a trail in the Sierra Nevada Mountain range not long ago, I was in awe of a flock of geese that flew overhead.  How many times had I seen (and heard!) geese flying but on this particular day, I stopped and really observed them in wonder.  I had been struggling with a problem that I hadn’t been able to resolve and feeling frustrated by it, so I hoped a walk in nature would clear my mind and inspire me.  I was not disappointed.    

The geese are phenomenal.  They fly in a V formation because somehow they know it conserves energy, reducing the wind resistance, burning less energy than going it alone.  The goose in the front works extra hard but it’s a temporary gig—in fact, they take turns leading when he gets tired.  The V also helps them keep track of every bird in the flock. Geese also take care of each other; they honk as a way to tell each other to keep going. Their honks are how they communicate their support of one another. And if one of them becomes wounded, a couple of their pals stay with him until he’s ready to fly again. 

As the geese continued their flight, I reconsidered the frustrating issue I was facing.  I remembered sage advice I once received:  1st There is always a solution to every problem. 2nd There are always people to help.  This has stayed with me. No matter what the issue or difficulty, remember there is always an answer.  It may not be easy, but it is not impossible to uncover it.  Even if the issue is completely foreign and unknown, there are always people who can and will help support and navigate.  You’re never alone.  You’re not the only goose flying this route; there are those who have gone before you who can show you the way. And when you get tired, let someone else take the lead. 

Geese have been imparted with the instinctive wisdom of knowing what to do and how to do it. Can’t we imagine that we, too, have been imparted with the intuitive wisdom to also know what we need to do on the myriad roads we travel? 

Nature, in all her wisdom, has a remarkable way of showing us what is possible. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts