Celebrating a Virtual MLK Day 2021

Monday, January 18, is a federal holiday in the United States dedicated to honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

On this day, I will pause to reflect on the current global pandemic and political turmoil in the United States that has made it clear that Dr. King’s dream of “liberation from the manacles of segregation and chains of discrimination” is a vision that remains to be fully embraced.

I will pause to remember that Centers for Spiritual Living values and celebrates the individual uniqueness and contribution of all people, whether in the U.S. or worldwide, as each person expresses through differences of gender, ethnicity, culture, history, sexuality, experience and talents.

Let us reflect on these things on January 18, and every Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and recommit to standing up for what is right, just, humane, and true.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is the only federal holiday defined as a day of service, in honor of the altruistic legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Though in-person community volunteering projects are traditionally encouraged on this date, the current pandemic requires us to be creative how we honor this year’s celebration safely.

While service opportunities look clearly different this year, there are many ways to engage and safely contribute good to the world. Take a positive action on January 18. Do something active in service to others even though you may be in quarantine. Doing something good will give you an authentic way to proclaim that though the world may be chaotic, good things continue to occur because they happen through you, and in so doing, honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

AmeriCorps, the federal agency for community service and volunteering, encourages us to “make it a day on, not a day off.” They provide resources for individuals and communities to continue the tradition of serving during the pandemic.

I affirm that the timeless wisdom of the Spirit guides me in all my affairs. I lift my consciousness to see and know the highest good for all beings. I am inspired by those who have gone before me. I am guided by the voice of Truth within me to the perfect right action for me today.


Resources:

Rev. Edward Viljoen, DD (hon.)
Spiritual Leader, Centers for Spiritual Living

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts